The summer’s first heat wave is here, and temperatures are expected to reach well over 90 degrees on July 4th. But don’t let the hot weather crash your 4th of July party plans. Beat the heat and move your cookout inside! Here are some Tips and Tricks to help you host a unique, crowd-pleasing Independence Day celebration.
1. Have an indoor picnic. Spread a blanket across a comfortable sofa or sectional, like the plush Lombardy sectional, or on the floor. Top it off with a few plush pillows, and you have the perfect area to socialize, sip a glass of wine, and enjoy some snacks. Cheese and grapes, anyone?
2. Watch your favorite all-American movies. Think A League of Their Own, Forrest Gump, and Independence Day. If young children will be coming to the party, introduce them to An American Tail, Steven Spielberg's first animated film and a sweet immigrant story for little ones.
3. Serve fun, festive 4th of July themed food and drinks, like a red, white, and blue fruit tray; mini bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches; blue corn chips and salsa; fireworks hot dogs; and citrus splash martinis.
4. Don’t forget the fireworks. Since you’re inside, real fireworks aren’t a good idea, but your guests will still enjoy flameless party crackers that are filled with treats, such as candy, confetti, and small toys. Click here to learn how to make them.
5. And, of course, a 4th of July celebration wouldn’t be complete without red, white, and blue napkins, maybe even a table cloth. Feel free to mix patterns, as long as linens and serving ware are in patriotic patterns.
So, just because it’s sweltering outside doesn’t mean that you can’t have a memorable Independence Day celebration. You just have to be a little creative. But that’s half of the fun, right? Happy 4th of July, everyone. We hope that this week’s Tips and Tricks gave you some ideas for making this holiday the best one yet.