Tips and Tricks: Decorating With Pantone’s Color of the Year 2019
Posted on February 14 2019
The Pantone Color Institute’s 2019 Color of the Year is Living Coral, an optimistic, vibrant hue that “appears in our natural surroundings and at the same time, displays a lively presence within social media.” Indeed, Living Coral 16-1546, a pink-orange with a golden undertone, was chosen because of its connection to nature, as in the beautiful yet endangered coral reefs that live in the world’s oceans. This week’s Tips and Tricks explores how to incorporate this lively color into your home, from your walls to your seating areas.
1. Hang Coral Wall Art. Liven up your color palette by integrating warm, nourishing Living Coral into it. By adding art pieces that have splashes of coral, you are subtly tying this tone into your room, which will enliven the space with fresh pops of color.
Scarves From Our Past A is a unique piece of wall art from Stash Home that features splashes of coral throughout.
2. Enhance with Complementary Colors. Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Colour Institute, advises to pair Living Coral with blue for a complementary color scheme. “Blue just makes the corals pop—just as it does in the ocean, or a beautiful blue sky and a sunset. It makes for a dynamic combination. We can also use it with blue green, which is always a beautiful combination,” said Eiseman in an interview with House Beautiful.
3. Bring on the Accessories. Coral pillows and throws, whether solid or patterned, can completely revamp the look of your sofa and accent chairs, all for a low price. And these accessories are especially gorgeous on furniture that’s upholstered in white or linen, like the exquisite Sloane Sofa (below).
4. Paint an Accent Wall. Rather than going all in by painting an entire room coral, try painting just one wall, making it the focal point of the room. In the living room, this might be the wall with the fireplace, while in the bedroom it could be the wall with the headboard; wherever the natural focal point of the room is located is the best spot for an accent wall.
Source: Decorating with Living Coral: Pantone’s Color of the Year 2019; decoist.com
5. Add Beautiful Flowers. Top off your dining table or coffee table with coral flowers for an easy, commitment-free finishing touch! In fact, by incorporating just a few vases of fresh flowers, you can welcome Living Coral throughout your home.
Source: Cause We Can Events Blog; causewecanevents.com/blog
Remember that Living Coral represents more than just a warm, joyful color; it’s a call for a return to nature, to preserving the environment. We hope that these Tips and Tricks will help you bring some of this dazzling, natural beauty into your home so that you can be inspired by its wonder, even amidst the cold of winter.