Your walls can be a canvas that you use to reinvigorate your home décor. On the other hand, wall art that's improperly hung sticks out, and not in a good way. But there’s no need to worry! This week's Tips and Tricks covers how to properly hang and arrange pictures, avoiding common mistakes.
1. Hang your wall art at eye level. You don’t want to go too high, as most people tend to do. Aim for 57 inches on center. This means that the center of your art piece should be 57 inches from the floor, which is the average human eye-height.
2. Stay balanced. Want to hang your picture above a sofa or over a console table? Leave at least 6-8 inches of space between the top of the furniture and the bottom of the art. Also, make sure that your artwork is at least 2/3 the length of the sofa.
3. Group together. Try creating a beautiful gallery wall, which allows you to display your most-cherished pieces in one place. There are no rules, but you should leave 2 to 5 inches between each frame. Having more space than this between pictures will make your pieces of art seem disconnected and as if you’re just trying to fill the space. Also, balance the weight of your collection by hanging heavy pieces to the bottom and to the left.
4. Consider size. Keep the size of your wall art in mind when deciding on where to hang them. Small pieces look lost when hung on an extremely large wall. Instead, place small pieces between doors and windows. For large wall art, allow plenty of room for your guests to step back and admire the view.
5. Keep style in mind. When selecting wall art, make sure that the pieces match your decorating style. Large and abstract pieces are more suited for modern rooms, while florals and vintage images complement classic style rooms.
This colorful abstract piece, titled "Maze II," is the perfect addition to any modern room.
This gorgeous floral piece, titled "Better Late Than Never," will shine in a classic style living room or dining room.
Whether you’re in the market for new wall art or you want to rearrange beloved pieces that you’ve owned for years, we hope that these Tips and Tricks help you hang them the right way, stylishly. Remember that your wall art is an expression of you, a way for you to showcase your personality and your interests. Let your story shine through in all of its uniqueness.
Are you looking for new, high style, low price wall art? Shop our gallery!