Tips and Tricks: Selecting Versatile Furniture
Posted on May 29 2018
Your furniture can be more than just static pieces that serve one purpose. In fact, certain pieces are versatile enough to transition with you as your needs change over the years, whether you redecorate or relocate. This week’s Tips and Tricks focuses on how to select unique, multipurpose furniture that will always have a place in your home.
- Imagine the possibilities. When considering whether any particular piece is flexible enough for your home, determine what purposes it can serve. For example, this four-door sideboard could be used as either a buffet in your dining room or a welcoming entry way table that’s topped with beautiful lamps and artwork or a hanging mirror.
- Take storage space into account. Does this piece have plenty of room to store your dishes, serving platters, glasses, and other belongings that you want to keep safe and tucked away?
- Make sure it’s technology-friendly. You want to have the option to use a dining room sideboard as an entertainment console in your living room or bedroom. In order to do that, the piece should have a discrete back opening that allows for wires to pass through to plug into power outlets, like the Blum sideboard.
- Invest in quality. Assess the quality of the piece when considering whether or not to purchase it. You should select something that will endure years of use without falling apart. Always go with solid hardwood pieces, not laminate furniture. The Josef sideboard (below) is made of mid burnt oak and bleached pine.
- Go with classic, timeless styles. Remember that you want to own your furniture for years to come, so you definitely don’t want to purchase something that’s too trendy. Instead, stick with pieces that will stand the test of time, like the Monaco sideboard; with its farmhouse chic style and framed glass doors, you’ll still love it just as much 10 years from now as you do today.
And, always remember one thing when you’re shopping—it’s more than just a piece of furniture, because you live your life in it. This is where your memories happen. We hope that this week’s Tips and Tricks will help you choose furniture that’s as versatile as you are, that grows with you over time, and that never gets boring.