Tips and Tricks: Shopping for a Coffee/Cocktail Table
Posted on May 01 2018
Before we delve into this week’s Tips and Tricks, we have a quick question for you. Do you call the low-lying table that’s conveniently located within arm’s reach of your sofa a coffee table or a cocktail table? These words basically mean the same thing—a table that’s typically placed in front of a sofa to support beverages, plates of food, magazines, books, and decorative objects. And, whether you prefer coffee table or cocktail table, you should keep a few things in mind when shopping for one.
- Size: Consider size when browsing tables. You want to select one that’s no more than two-thirds the length of your sofa. Otherwise, the table will overwhelm your seating area.
- Height: Your coffee/cocktail table should be the same height as the seat of your sofa, if not lower.
- Shape: Rectangular tables work well for small rooms, while square or round tables are great for large rooms.
The Isabella coffee table is a fantastic choice for a smaller room. It features a hardwood and reclaimed wood construction and hand finished metal detailing.
Constructed with hardwood and an eclectic mix of materials including shagreen and lucite, the Cyrano coffee table is a bold vision simplified.
4. Style: Take a look at the style of your living room furniture—is it Bungalow, Refined Mix, or Classic Home? Your coffee/cocktail table should complement your current look.
5. Color/finish: Darker woods especially enhance traditional style rooms, while glass, metal, and stone are stunning in modern rooms.
6. Purpose: Is this a table for a family room? If so, you should look for a solid table that has no sharp edges. Small children can get hurt on corners. Also, you might need a little extra storage for your children's toys and hobbies; this wicker trunk can serve as a coffee/cocktail table and a storage chest. But if you’re shopping for a table for a formal living room, you have the option to choose something that’s more delicate, even glass or marble.
This black washed trunk is both a coffee/cocktail table and a convenient storage solution.
So, whether you’re searching for “coffee table” or “cocktail table” when you’re shopping online, or using one of these terms when you’re browsing at your local Stash store, we hope that these Tips and Tricks will help you find the perfect table for your space!
This modern, urban table has clean lines, a honeycomb core, and a unique concrete, stone, and iron construction.
Antique inspired with a modern twist, the Larson coffee table is constructed with aged and reclaimed solid wood and has hidden shelves on each side.